This crispy quinoa, bean & root winter vegetable bowl is a warm and satisfying spin on a go-to weeknight grain bowl or salad.
The difference in taste compared to cold salads or sauteed vegetable and grain meal bowls is achieved by charring and roasting the ingredients in the oven with herbs and spices. The result is a wonderful, complex combination of flavors and textures. I added a tangy-sweet maple syrup-mustard dressing to this easy vegan dinner, which balances out the bitter notes.
Subscribe to my healthy eating and lifestyle blog here or follow me on Facebook for more healthy lifestyle shares!
This post may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Charred Winter Root Bowl With Crispy Quinoa
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or quinoa/brown rice mix
- ½ cup chickpeas, cooked/canned/pre-roasted Can use edamame, tofu chunks, pre-cooked lentils or beans instead.
- ½ cup cabbage very thinly sliced
- ½ cup carrots shredded or very finely chopped
- ½ cup beets shredded or very finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried parsley or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper of your choice I prefer smoked paprika
- ½ tsp powdered garlic or 1 Tbsp freshly chopped
- 1 Tbsp mustard of your choice I prefer Dijon
- 1 Tbsp water or oil if you prefer
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Spread all of the bowl ingredients in sections on a large baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or covered with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, garlic and oregano.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Scoop in sections into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the parsley then drizzle the dressing on top.