Whether you air fry or bake them in the oven, kale chips are possibly the easiest, most delicious way to prepare a nutritious leafy green vegetable. The key is to cook the leaves at A LOW TEMPURATURE.
The result is crispy, airy, melt-in-your-mouth greens that have so many healthy food benefits. They contain lots of essential vitamins and minerals: vitamins A, K, B6 and C, plus calcium potassium copper and manganese, so kale chips are the perfect clean eating snack.
They’re virtually calorie-free if you air fry them; baking with generous amounts in vegetable oil is a great way to prepare them for kids who need the calories from healthy, unsaturated fat for growth and development. This healthy gluten free easy recipe is a fun, easy cooking project to have kids help you make them!
Subscribe to my healthy eating and lifestyle blog here or follow me on Facebook for more healthy lifestyle shares!
This post may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Kale Chips Cooked Two Ways
- 1 large head of curly kale This type of kale has wider thinner leaves than lacinato or Tuscan kale, the kind with darker, thinner leaves.
- Olive oil and cooking spray
- Salt and powdered garlic
- Preheat the oven to 275 degree F.
- Wash and pay dry the kale.
- Rip the leaves off the stem into large pieces. Be sure to remove ALL of the thick stems, which are too tough to eat.
- You should have a large pile of leaves. Separate in half.
- Place each half in two separate bowls.
- In 1 bowl, coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and toss well.
- In the second bowl, coast with 1 Tbsp oil. sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and toss well.
- Place the bowl of oiled leaves on separate large baking sheets, spread evenly in ONE LAYER. Do not layer the leaves on top of one another.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Coat the air fryer tray with cooking spray.
- Take a handful of the leaves lightly coated with cooking spray until the stay is full (not overstuffed).
- Place in the air fryer. I have a small air fryer, so I had to air fry the leaves in 3 batches.
- Set the air fryer at 275 degrees F for 10 minutes. Press start.
- Once the leaves are done cooking, transfer to an airtight container.
- Make sure to let cool before covering.
- Once cooled, seal to keep from getting stale or wilted.