I call these amazing whole food plant-based potato snack bars “pure gold” bars because they’re golden in color and incredibly rich in a long spate of nutrients. This recipe contains only three whole food ingredients: oats, sweet potatoes and maple syrup. (Flaxseeds and cinnamon are additional optional ingredients, and nut butter & more syrup can be used to make the bars look fancy with a drizzle on top.)
The best part: these whole food bars plant-based, vegan, dairy-free, oil-free and gluten-free.
As for the rich nutritional value, let’s start with the oats. Oats are high in vitamins A and C, protein, iron, fiber and also contain lots of antioxidants and minerals. The sweet potatoes are no less healthy–they’re high in beta carotene, vitamin C, fiber, potassium and many other minerals.
This post may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Pure Gold Potato Snack Bars
For the Bars
- 3 ½ – 4 cups oats whole rolled or quick-cook oats
- 1 large sweet potato peeled chopped and boiled until soft
- ½ cup maple syrup or plant milk of you want to make it sugar-free
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds optional
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon optional
- pinch of salt
For the Drizzle (optional)
- ½ cup nut or seed butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup or agave
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the boiled sweet potatoes and maple syrup in a blender or cuisinart.
- Puree until smooth, then scoop into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the oats, flaxseeds (optional), cinnamon (optional) and salt.
- Add the oatmeal mix one-third at a time into the pureed sweet potatoes and combine well. Keep mixing in the oatmeal until the batter is a very thick, cookie batter-like consistency.
- Coat a medium-sized rectangular or square baking sheet with cooking spray or cover with parchment paper.
- Spread the dough evenly onto the baking sheet, pressing down with your fingers and palms of your hands.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until firm and golden on the edges.
- Let cool for 15-30 minutes.
- If making the drizzle, place the drizzle ingredients in a bowl and whisk together well until smooth.
- Drizzle across the top.
- Cut into slices or squares.
- Store in a well-sealed container.