This delicious vegan queso fresco is a spin-off of my Dairy-Free Sour Cream / Ranch Dressing recipe. Made of sunflower seeds, it’s transformed into a nacho cheese sauce with the addition of herbs and spices that’s perfect to serve with Mexican food. It is also plant-based, oil-free, gluten-free, and contains no cashews so it’s safe for those with nut allergies.
This recipe makes approximately 2 cups with a thick consistency. Once it’s made, add 1 Tbsp water to ¼ cup of the queso to make a thinner consistency to be used for a sauce.
This sauce/dressing is great as:
- Spread in dinner burritos, breakfast wraps, quesadillas, enchiladas and nachos
- Sauce added to pasta
- Topping for nachos, baked potatoes and French fries
- Dip for corn chips and fresh vegetables
Subscribe to my healthy eating and lifestyle blog here or follow me on Facebook for more healthy lifestyle shares!
This post may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Vegan Queso Fresco
- 1 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds soaked in water at least one hour or overnight then drained
- 1 cup cool water I prefer to use filtered water
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Combine all the ingredients in a Cuisinart or blender and blend for 3-5 minutes, until smooth.
- Sprinkle turmeric on top for color if serving as a topping.