This delicious vegan rice pilaf contains a delightful combination of warm and bright flavors that make it the perfect dish for a holiday dinner. It’s gluten-free as well, and a cinch to make if you have a rice cooker. Since quinoa contains more protein and nutrients than rice, 1/2 cup of quinoa is included. The almonds can easily be swapped for sunflower seeds for those allergic to almonds. The whole food ingredients make for a quintessential example of cruelty-free clean eating.
Subscribe to my healthy eating and lifestyle blog here or follow me on Facebook for more healthy lifestyle shares!
This post may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Vegan Rice Pilaf With Almonds and Dried Cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups rice of your choice I use long grain brown Basmati rice for this recipe
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large or 2 small carrots peeled and shredded or finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 small celery stalks peeled and shredded or finely chopped
- 3 large or 5 small mushrooms cleaned with a dry cloth and chopped
- 1/2 large or 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper black, white or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp powdered garlic or 1 heaping Tbsp fresh chopped garlic
- 1 tsp dried or 1 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp oil or cooking spray/water for fat-free version
- 1/4 cup slivered or chopped almonds raw or roasted or pecans or walnuts or pumpkin seeds for nut allergies
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Place the rice, quinoa and vegetable broth in a rice cooker.
- Press cook. The cooker will turn off automatically when done.
- If you do not have a rice cooker, cook in a large saucepan on low heat for 25-30 minutes with lid tipped open.
- In a medium saucepan, add oil/cooking spray, and turn heat on high.
- Add onions and spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots and celery, stir, then lower heat to medium.
- Cook/stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook/stir for another minute or two.
- Turn off heat. Cover and set aside.
- Once the rice/quinoa is done cooking, scoop into a large bowl.
- Add the cooked vegetables. Mix well.
- Add the nuts/seeds and dried cranberries. Mix again.
- Transfer to a nice serving bowl.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top.